Delighted by the invitation to be a Curatorial Advisor for BLOOD at Science Gallery. Artists making challenging and hard to handle work with blood, please consider applying to this international touring programme.
Deadline: 8 January 2017
BLOOD is the first cross-network season for Science Gallery. Blood is essential for life, both medically and metaphorically. From ritual to research, artistic medium to biological fluid, the 2017 BLOOD season will evoke ideas that provoke and challenge, engage and entice. Crossing continents and connecting London and Melbourne through a public programme of events, activities, installations workshops and performances, the BLOOD season will feature a range of work from the original exhibition in Science Gallery Dublin, as well as exciting new provocative works and experiences that explore the scientific, symbolic and strange nature of blood.
For our open call we’re interested in proposals addressing or exploring some of the following themes and topics:
- Taboo – surrounding menstruation, ritual behaviour or activities involving blood, food created from blood
- Stigma – associated with living with blood borne viruses such as HIV, or other genetic conditions affecting blood.
- Giving – donating blood to strangers, placenta donation, the connection between a mother and foetus
- Identity – blood type, associations with racial identity, mixed race, family, chimeras, human/animal hybrids, and eugenics
- Health – diseases of the blood, immunity. Blood testing and the future of blood based testing etc.
- Sport – Drugs and sport, blood doping.